Digital book production and EPUBs and fixed-layout EPUB versus flowable. We are…in a very chaotic time in our industry.…We're sort of like at the Big Bang phase, so things change weekly, if not daily,…and it's essential for you to keep up with what's happening.…So here are some of the web sites and resources that I recommend that you follow,…and where you can find me if you have more questions.…First, InDesign Secrets is a blog, podcast, eBook emporium that I co-host with…business partner David Blatner.…
If you come here, you'll see many good scripts and things that people post all…about not just InDesign, but a lot of it having to do with digital publishing.…We have a category that's just for EPUB, if you wanted to follow that as well.…And we put on the PEPCON: Print & ePublishing Conference, where we talk a lot about…digital publishing.…We have a sister site called ePUBSecrets, that is specifically focused on EPUBs.…One of the handiest ways to get help with your EPUB issues is by going to…Twitter and doing a search for the hashtag eProduction, that's #eprdctn.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.