…The latest version of InDesign CC, the 2014 release, has a fantastic new feature.…It allows us to export to EPUB, both reflowable and fixed layout formats.…I cover that new feature, exporting to the fixed…layout format from InDesign CC 2014, in the next chapter.…But if you're using an earlier version of InDesign, like…many publishers and authors are, here we are in InDesign…CS6, you'll need to roll up your sleeves and make…the program do something it was not really designed to do.…
That is, you're going to convert an InDesign…layout into the guts of a fixed layout EPUB.…Each page in your publication will become a standalone…HTML file with absolutely positioned image and text frames.…That's what most of this chapter is about.…Since I first recorded the videos in this chapter though, many…third-party solutions have sprung up that rescue you from this tedium.…They automate the creation of fixed layout EPUBs.…Most of these services start with a PDF.…You turn over a PDF to them, and they come back with a fixed layout EPUB.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.