One of the most interesting features of a fixed-layout EPUB is that you can…specify a single image to cross the great divide.…You can specify an image to go across the spine, to extend into the next spread.…We already have this effect happening in our EPUB, and the way that it's…happening is that when I exported the pages as JPEGs from InDesign, it split…itself, so we have a left side and a right side.…Actually, before I did that, I hid the text layer. I don't know if you recall from that…video. So now in our file--let me jump over to the exercise files in the…before Lost Highway--page04 has a link to the page04.jpg. And if we look at…this in Safari, you can see what this looks like, just that. And page05 is the right side.…
But what happens when you view this then, you view page 4 and 5 as a facing page…spread in iBooks, you see a little bit of division right down the middle.…And what we'd like is to have one smooth image going all the way across.…To do that, we have to flex with it a little bit, and let me show you what we need to do.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.