Join Joseph Lowery for an in-depth discussion in this video Getting to know the basic font categories, part of Typography with CSS in Dreamweaver.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Typefaces on the web are organized around five basic categories.…When constructing a font-family covered in the Employing Websafe Fonts and…Defining the New Font Families videos in this chapter, the final member of the…family is the category name.…This is the ultimate fallback for browsers.…If none of the fonts listed in the font family are available, the browser uses…the default font as specified by the category name.…The five categories are Serif, Sans- Serif, Monospace, Cursive and Fantasy.…
Serif includes typefaces like Times New Roman, Georgia, Palatino and Book Antiqua.…In Sans-Serif, you'll find Arial, Helvetica, Geneva and Lucida Sans Unicode.…Under Monospace you could use Courier New, Monaco and Lucida Console.…Cursive has just one:…Comic Sans MS, and likewise Fantasy: Impact.…Now these font families are all common to both Mac and Windows operating systems…and that's why they're called Websafe Fonts.…
In the real world of Web design only two of the type categories are used…regularly, Serif and Sans-Serif, with a third Monospace being applied in special cases.…
- Modifying type in the CSS Styles panel
- Understanding the different type measurement unit options
- Allowing users to set page type size
- Employing web-safe fonts
- Exploring CSS 3 typeface options
- Setting up @font-face
- Applying color and transparency to type
- Styling the font weight, case, and letter spacing
- Inserting drop caps
- Rotating text with CSS transform
- Laying out text in multiple columns
- Incorporating ordered and unordered lists
- Targeting lists items with the nth-child selector
Skill Level Intermediate
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designerwith Doyald Young1h 41m Appropriate for all
1. Modifying Type in Dreamweaver
2. Establishing the Proper Type Unit
Working with pixels2m 34s
3. Choosing Site Typefaces
4. Integrating Color
Applying color to type4m 52s
5. Selecting Type Styles
6. Using Advanced CSS Text Effects
7. Structuring CSS Text
8. Defining Lists with HTML and CSS
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.