Now let's turn our attention to how to get the text out of a PDF for us to reuse…in our fixed-layout EPUB.…I'm in Acrobat 10 and one of the most straightforward ways to get text out of…here is simply to copy and paste.…So you select the Selection tool here, and then drag over your text, and…assuming it's live text, it hasn't been embedded into a JPEG or turned into…outlines it'll become selected.…And then I'll copy it, switch to any text editing program, like let's say,…TextWrangler and paste, and it comes in.…
Now if we come back here, if we click inside some text and select all, and…then copy and switch back, and let's select that and paste, then it gets all…of the text on this page.…So we have the title and also the Photographs by Nigel French, and this t 1. What is that?…Well apparently there is some text on this page somewhere, that is the folio…and they'll have a lowercase t which is a different font in the InDesign file…but it comes through as lowercase t. If I wanted to select all the text in…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.