There are lots of different ways to get the text out of an InDesign file and…into your fixed-layout EPUB files.…I want to talk about a few of the different methods that I've used.…I don't really have one suggested workflow for you; it really depends on the…amount of text that you have,…if you already have an external CSS setup that you're going to be using or not,…if you have the external HTML files already set up or not.…So I'll just show you a few different techniques, and I think that you will…definitely learn at least a couple new tricks in the video.…Let say that you do already have something set up, like here in the Finder I have…my FixedLayoutTemplate. And let's say that this is the template that I'll be…using for Nigel's book, and that I've already set up pages for the book. And so…like on page01, for example, I'll double-click page01, and I can put in text…right here in the body section, right after the image for the cover.…
So all I need to do is in InDesign copy and paste the text, jump right back…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.