I know that there is a small but important percentage of you watching this video…who don't have Acrobat Pro.…You might have the PDF but all you have is the free Adobe Reader Utility.…And if you're wondering, is there any possible way for me to get these images…and text out of this PDF with Reader? There is.…It's more difficult.…You don't have as many options and I would really exhort you to go ahead and buy…Acrobat or one of the less expensive equivalents if it has the same kind of…image and text extraction features that Acrobat does.…
I do want to spend this video and some of the next video on talking about how to…extract images and text with Reader.…So in this one we are going to talk about images.…I have Adobe Reader open, version 10, the latest version, and unfortunately, it…doesn't have the same wonderful tools that you might be accustomed to.…Like say, for example, we want to extract this picture of the saguaro cacti.…If you go to the tools panel in Reader looking for that wonderful Edit Object…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.