When you're dealing with the PDF, you need to extract the images and the text,…in addition to being able to export every page as one single full-page JPEG.…Another way that you might do this would be to extract every image individually,…and that way you get the most control over which ones you are going to include…in your EPUB and how they're going to be positioned.…It will take more manual work, but sometimes it's worth it.…So, for example, let's say that in this PDF I want to extract the picture of…just these saguaro cactuses.…
And I don't want a big honking JPEG with all this empty white space, all I want…is this image, and then I'm going to absolutely position it with CSS in my HTML…file with a top and left offset.…So to do that, you can extract an individual image one by one, by using our…friend the Edit Object tool that's in Acrobat 10, under the Tools panel choose…Edit Object, and you don't have this tool in Reader, you have to have Acrobat.…
When you select it, then you can click on the image and it becomes selected.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.