I'm going to show you a technique that is not for the faint ofheart, but it…does take advantage of some key InDesign features, specifically some scripts, to…help you create a multiple-page EPUB.…You already know that you can export any InDesign document to EPUB, and what it's…going to do is create one HTML file for every section or chapter or wherever you…say that a new style starts.…But that is not how we want to create fixed-layout EPUBs; we want a single HTML…file for every single page. And if your page is just a big fat old graphic…there's no style or anything to tell InDesign to break it up here.…
So, I was going back and forth trying to figure out, how can I force InDesign…to export to EPUB and make it break up the document into individual HTML files, one per page?…So, if you do that then at least you have a starter set.…You have the toc.ncx. You have the content.opf file.…You don't have to start like from scratch and write these in a text editor.…You can come out the other way and start with a complete EPUB and then just go…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.