In our 12-page InDesign layout, I might not want to export every…single page as a full JPEG.…There's nothing wrong with mixing it up, maybe a couple of pages have, you know,…a full background like here.…But maybe on this page, I just want to export these two individual images or…maybe on this page, this is one image, and then I would position it with CSS.…You know, it will save in file size.…I don't need, you know, this JPEG would have all this unnecessary white space, and it…doesn't take that much more work for me to make a CSS that absolutely…positions this correctly.…
The problem is that you can't just go to the Links panel and say, okay, this is…the image I am going to use.…Now I could right-click on here and say Reveal in Finder, or if I was on Windows,…Reveal in Explorer, and then use it, because this is the original image.…And I might have cropped it here.…This one isn't cropped, but I'm sure that we have one here some place.…Yeah, see this one is cropped.…You are not seeing the bottom part of it. It might have been scaled.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.