What are the tools that you need to put together a fixed-layout EPUB? What kind…of workflow is best?…That was one of the struggles that I had with coming up with an outline for this…title actually, because I'm trying to figure out what you are starting out with.…For me, because I'm InDesign person, I know that I'm always starting out with an InDesign file.…And I think that for a lot of people who will be viewing this title, because…InDesign is the de facto software program of choice for book publishing, that…many people will be starting with an InDesign layout that has been created for print.…
And here is an example of the Lost Highway book that we will be working with in…this title, laid out in InDesign.…If you don't have InDesign, maybe you're not the person who actually designed it…or produced it, maybe you are the author and you have something -- you have a…digital version of your book, but it's not an editable production file, I'm…guessing that you probably have a PDF.…So another sizable group of people watching this title, I'm assuming, will have at…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.