A lot of times, especially with text- heavy books, you will be hiding the text…layer and then exporting to JPEG the background, and the background has images…or things around which the text wraps.…Like, for example, here is a page from an actual fixed-layout EPUB where you can…see the text is wrapped around this background image of the feather.…This is just one big image in the background, but it wraps to the left, and then…it wraps to the right.…And you can create floats--…you can do like a drop cap and have the text float around it--…but many times the graphics are going be just merged into the background JPEG,…but you need to have the text on every individual page or it interacts with that to…look like it is wrapping.…
Now this book, by the way, in case you want to take a look, is actually for sale…here on iTunes. It's called Missed Connections by Workman Publishing, and they do…some phenomenal fixed-layout EPUBS.…The production manager was telling me about how they worked on this page.…Let me show you in the Split code how this is done.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.