- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Anne-Marie Concepcion. And welcome to Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUB. In this course, I'm going to show you how to create these cool kind of EPUBs that iBooks will show as though it were a PDF, but you can sell them through the iBooks store. We'll start by looking at some of the special features of fixed-layout EPUBs, and we'll talk about how to get content into an EPUB. I'll show you how you can extract images from your PDFs. We'll jump right in to editing all these HTML files and image files using Dreamweaver and other EPUB-editing programs.
And I'll show you how to do things that everybody asks me about all the time, like how do you embed fonts in a fixed-layout EPUB, how can you make images span a two-page spread, and what's the fastest way that you can proof your EPUBs on your iPad? There's a lot to cover, but I try to make it as clear and simple as possible. So let's get started with creating a fixed-layout EPUB.
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.