Checking your work in Dreamweaver or Safari will only take you so far.…You really need to compress all your files into an EPUB and then get that down…onto the iPad and see how it's looking.…The first thing is, how do you turn all these files into an EPUB?…Well, I talked about this in my InDesign to EPUB course, but essentially an…EPUB is a ZIP archive.…There are some special settings about it, but on a PC it's a lot easier to…deal with than on a Mac.…On a PC, you just need to select your EPUB folder and then use Windows 7's or…later built-in ZIP archive, convert it into Lost Highway.zip, and then change…the extension .zip to .epub, and that's it.…
Now, if that's not working for you for whatever reason, if you can't get the…EPUB to preview at all, then for Windows you might want to check out this…program, 7-Zip, which I know for sure does the job.…So with 7-Zip you can download it. It's open source. It runs on basically any…version of Windows since Windows 95, I think.…And the way that you do this--this is what I've read on the Windows boards; I've…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.