Join David Rivers for an in-depth discussion in this video What is Dragon NaturallySpeaking?, part of Dragon NaturallySpeaking Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Before we setup Dragon NaturallySpeaking and start using it, we should probably take a closer look at exactly what it is, and how it can be used. The simple definition is that Dragon NaturallySpeaking is speech recognition software. But what does that really mean? Well, for one, it means a new way of using your computer, and that is simply by speaking. Many people think of Dragon NaturallySpeaking and other speech recognition programs as simply dictation tools used to dictate text into a word processing program, like Microsoft Word for example.
But that's only part of it. Sure, we can use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to dictate a letter, but we can do a whole lot more than that. Dragon NaturallySpeaking can be used to apply text formatting and editing too. It can be used to create spreadsheets in other programs, like Excel. Or read, create, and send email in Outlook. Not only that, Dragon NaturallySpeaking can be used to open, close, and navigate your programs in windows, and even search your desktop, all by using your voice. Dragon NaturallySpeaking will even allow you to control your mouse and keyboard without ever touching them, and only using your voice.
Now, while Dragon NaturallySpeaking works well right out of the box, there are ways to train the program to work the way you want it to, and improve accuracy along the way. We'll be investigating all of this in this course. So, now that we have a good understanding of what Dragon NaturallySpeaking is and how it can be used, let's get you set up with your user profile. We'll do that next.
Viewers also learn how to control the Windows desktop, open and close apps, and work with popular software like Word, Outlook, Excel, and web browsers.
- Creating a Dragon profile
- Dictating basic text
- Correcting errors and actions
- Dictating numbers
- Formatting text
- Making revisions
- Using Dragon NaturallySpeaking with other programs
- Controlling the mouse and keyboard with Dragon
- Improving Dragon's accuracy