Join Arthur Ulfeldt for an in-depth discussion in this video Avoid golden images, part of Learning Docker.
- [Instructor] And now it's story time.…Long long ago at a tech company right near you,…Carol learned about Docker…and created a Docker file for their new service.…It ran fine in production until one day…the site was down, it was an emergency.…Alice updated that image, saved it right over the old image…and everybody got on with their day.…She was a hero.…Nobody worried about how that image…no longer matched the Docker file.…And then Alice and Carol both moved on to new jobs…and bigger and better places.…
And nobody was ever able to maintain that Docker file again.…They just kept using exactly as it was…like a golden image that nobody dares touch.…Here's a couple lessons I've learned…from extracting golden images out of enterprises.…Step one, include the installer in your project.…Five years from now the installer for version 0.18…of your project will not still be available.…Include it.…If you depend on a piece of software to build your image,…check it into your image, gets good for that.…
Have a canonical build system…
- Installing Docker on Mac, Windows, and Linux
- Understanding the Docker flow
- Running processes in containers
- Managing, networking, and linking containers
- Working with Docker images, volumes, and registries
- Building Dockerfiles
- Managing networking and namespaces with Docker
- Building entire systems with Docker
Skill Level Beginner
DevOps Foundations: Containerswith David Linthicum1h 16m Appropriate for all
Docker Essential Training: 2 Orchestrationwith David Davis1h 4m Intermediate
What is Docker?2m 51s
1. Installing Docker
2. Using Docker
3. Building Docker Images
4. Under the Hood
5. Orchestration: Building Systems with Docker
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.