This video introduces how the .env file works.
- [Narrator] In this video,…we're going to learn how to use a .env file…from Pipenv and how to automatically define…a settings file when multiple are available.…So, what exactly is an env file?…Well, Pipenv uses .env files…to store environmental variables…that you'll be using in your project.…If an env file is in your project…pipenv shell and pipenv run will automatically load it…and setup the environment variables for you.…
This is incredibly useful for…keeping production credentials out of your codebase.…It's also useful in a variety of other ways…such as setting Pipenv settings or Django settings…though we do recommend keeping this…env file out of source control.…So what all options are available for it?…Well Pipenv defines a multitude of options.…Unfortunately we don't have enough time…to go over every single option for Pipenv and Pip…but here are a couple that I found useful.…PIPENV_DEFAULT_PYTHON_VERSION sets the…default Python version for your virtual environment.…
PIPENV_SHELL_FANCY always uses fancy mode…
- Extending class-based views
- Building a REST API
- Working with GraphQL
- Building a basic schema
- Optimizing your environment
- Working with Pipenv
- How Django handles testing
- Securing the Django admin
Skill Level Advanced
1. Advanced Class-Based Views
2. Building a REST API
Authentication with DRF6m 14s
3. GraphQL: An Alternative API
4. Optimizing Your Environment
5. Tests, Tests, Tests
6. Securing Django
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.