After you have been programming in Eclipse (or any IDE for that matter), you find that you frequently need to type out certain statements, such as System.out.println(). Lucky for us, Eclipse has included several built-in shortcuts that can make our coding easier. A complete list of the shortcuts (called content assist in Eclipse) can be found here: Window, preferences, java , editor, templates. If we scroll down we can see sysout expands to system.out.println
- [Voiceover] After you've been programming in Eclipse…or any of the IDEs for that matter,…you might find that you frequently need…to type out certain statements,…such as we often need to print out to the console…using system.out.println.…Lucky for us, Eclipse has several built in shortcuts…that can make our coding easier.…A complete list of the shortcuts…which are called content assist in Eclipse…can be found here,…window, preferences, Java, editor,…and templates.…
As you can see,…there's a whole list of templates here.…Let's scroll down to the S's…and we'll see my favorite one,…sysout.…Sysout can be used to print to the standard output…which means system.out.println.…Let's try it.…If I type sysout,…in Eclipse, we have to use the control+space…to invoke the content assist.…So I'll do control+space…and you can see it automatically expanded it…to system.out.println.…
And now I can print a message here.…It is important to note that shortcuts…are not required when you're doing your programming…but they can save time and reduce some repetitive coding.…
- What is an IDE?
- Viewing and organizing files in an IDE
- Downloading and installing different IDEs
- Coding with shortcuts and autocompletion
- Using templates
- Finding and referencing files
- Debugging Java code in an IDE
Skill Level Beginner
1. A Quick Review of IDE Basics
2. NetBeans IDE
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.