The title of architect can mean very different things. The nature of the role has evolved over time, and the role is very different in different sorts of organizations. This video looks at what it means to be and architect and how the job differs with your context. The video also discusses the dysfunction that can emerge from a traditional arrangement, particularly the architectus matrixis (Matrix-style architect) and the code monkey.
- Have you ever wondered what exactly an architect does? … It turns out that there's a huge difference … between a traditional architect in a waterfall organization … and a modern Agile architect, so let's look at both, … starting with the traditional version. … A traditional software architect is what Uncle Bob Martin, … one of the signers of the Agile Manifesto, … dubbed Architectus Matrixis, the guy in the white suit … in the second Matrix movie working in pristine isolation … and speaking a language that sounded like English … but nobody could make any sense of. … He conceived a perfect design, … or at least he couldn't imagine that it wasn't perfect. … He sees himself as the most brilliant person in the room. … The dirty work of implementation is beneath him, … performed by the lesser minions. … The architect does all the thinking. … Everybody else just does what they're told. … I know people like this. … They treat the programmers as if they were … incompetent idiots, calling them code monkeys …
- What is software architecture?
- The architect's day-to-day job
- Architectural theories and concepts
- Gathering requirements
- Identifying bounded contexts and entities
- Categories of architecture
- Architectural patterns