Review the most common architectural patterns. These six videos are providing a very broad overview, primarily so that you can get a feel for what an architectural pattern is. Start by looking at monoliths: very large, indivisible systems.
- The notion of design patterns that we covered … in the last chapter, applies very much to architecture. … When you look at lots of programs … and focus on the big structural problems, … like scalability or ease of change or ease of maintenance. … Patterns start to emerge! … Like the code level patterns these architectural patterns … don't stand alone in splendid isolation, … it's rare to find a pure realization … of any architectural pattern. … A given system might embody many patterns … and these will interact in complex ways. … Let's get real though and look at a few … common architectural patterns, starting with one … that's probably familiar to you, the monolith. … In a monolithic architecture, the entire program … is one large executable unit. … Sometimes specified with hundreds of thousands of lines … of source code, ancillary programs like database servers … surround and support the monolith. … But those are usually generic components that aren't … worth the trouble to implement yourself. …
- What is software architecture?
- The architect's day-to-day job
- Architectural theories and concepts
- Gathering requirements
- Identifying bounded contexts and entities
- Categories of architecture
- Architectural patterns