Microkernel architectures provide a core set of capabilities that are shared by modules that plug in to a central core framework. Take a look at one example.
- The next pattern of interest is the microkernel pattern. … The first microkernel realization was an operating system. … The idea is to put the essential capabilities of your system … into a single stand-alone executable called the kernel. … In an operating system for example, … the kernel handles virtual memory and the file system. … Other capabilities are implemented … as stand-alone execution units … that effectively plug into the kernel to do their work. … In Linux for example, the operating system itself … is made up of a myriad of services … written as independent programs, … all of which use the core services in the Linux kernel … to do their work. … The operating system itself is the sum of the kernel … and all of those other services. … They typically plug into the kernel in a way … that makes communication very efficient, … being allowed to make direct calls … to the kernel methods for example. … Normal applications can't do that. … In older Unix flavors you had to recompile the kernel …
- What is software architecture?
- The architect's day-to-day job
- Architectural theories and concepts
- Gathering requirements
- Identifying bounded contexts and entities
- Categories of architecture
- Architectural patterns