Join Dennis Meyer for an in-depth discussion in this video Establishing clear translation standards, part of Localization for Developers.
- Let's talk about how to establish…clear standards for working with translators.…The American Translators Association has produced…some very wonderful guides that are aimed…at businesses and individuals who need to hire…translators but don't know where to start.…A lot of what we'll discuss here applies to the translation…and localization of any product…not just software applications,…but it's important to keep in mind that almost all…of this information is directly applicable…to software development and localization.…
The first guide I'd like to share with you is called…Translation Getting it Right,…you can download that pdf from the ATA website.…This guide goes over a lot of the questions…that first time buyers of translation services…are going to ask themselves.…You can probably read this in about 20 minutes,…it's 28 small pages so do yourself a favor…and read through this before you hire a translator,…and before making any important translation decisions.…
It covers everything from what translators do…and the importance of style, down to best practices,…
- Timing internationalization and localization efforts
- Researching localization targets
- Evaluating and localizing text
- Internationalizing media
- Converting to Unicode
- Supporting right-to-left languages
- Working with translators
- Testing your localization
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introducing Internationalization and Localization
2. Internationalizing Content
Internationalizing media9m 25s
3. Internationalizing a GUI
4. Managing Localization
5. Modifying Your Quality-Assurance Strategy
Next steps2m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.