Though proctoring quizzes or exams in online courses using D2L is almost impossible, quizzes can still serve a useful function. This online training video covers how the quizzes feature of D2L can be modified to enhance the environment and goals of online teaching, and provides instructions on setting up a quiz for online students.
- [Narrator] When most teachers hear the word test or quiz,…they picture proctoring an exam.…In an online class though, students can take exams…with books out, friends in the room, who knows, right?…So some online teachers avoid quizzes and exams entirely.…Personally though, I like using the D2L quiz feature…as a kind of study guide, drawing attention…to specific points in material.…Here's how to set that up.…Begin here in the quiz tool, and then select new quiz.…And then give your quiz a name.…
Now, much of the rest of the process…isn't too different from setting up a normal quiz.…There are a few online review quiz specific things though,…which are handled either in the assessment tab…or the submissions view tab.…Let's start in the assessment tab.…First, under automatic grade,…select allow attempt to be set as graded…immediately upon completion.…This will give a student immediate feedback…once they've submitted a quiz attempt.…I usually also associate a quiz with a grade item.…
We'll pick reading quiz one,…and then select allow automatic export to grades.…
- Communicating with students
- Developing course competencies and learning objectives
- Setting up a classroom, including a discussion board
- Adding quizzes and exams
- Setting up an assignment rubric
- Providing feedback
- Setting up a gradebook
- Customizing Brightspace
- Managing discussion boards
- Leveraging Brightspace mobile apps
- Using Brightspace as a student
Skill Level Beginner
1. Brightspace and Communicating with Students
2. Brightspace and Classroom Management
3. Brightspace and Assessing Student Work
4. Customizing Brightspace
5. Using Brightspace in an Online Context
Creating D2L small groups4m 36s
6. The Student's View of Brightspace
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.