Students track a lot of moving parts when taking a course through Desire2Learn (D2L), and often struggle to keep them all straight. This online training video shows how to set up course notifications in D2L, which can automatically notify students by text message or email about upcoming deadlines, posted grades, or newly available material—which can help students stay organized.
- [Instructor] When students are taking a course…through D2L, especially online, it's sometimes difficult…to identify what's changed and easy to worry…that you might be missing something.…That's where the course notifications tool comes in,…which your students can use to automatically send out alerts…about meaningful changes, as well as upcoming deadlines.…To access the notifications tool,…tell students to select the dropdown menu…with their name at the top of the D2L interface,…and then select Notifications.…This brings up the Notifications area.…
First, have students verify their contact information.…In most campus setups, D2L will have…already harvested an email through organization login info,…but students can also change their email or phone number.…If students want to get a summary update…of meaningful changes, but don't want…to get hassled by to-the-minute updates,…their next stop should be the Summary of Activity feature.…By default, this is set to Never,…but if students want periodic updates of all course changes,…
- Communicating with students
- Developing course competencies and learning objectives
- Setting up a classroom, including a discussion board
- Adding quizzes and exams
- Setting up an assignment rubric
- Providing feedback
- Setting up a gradebook
- Customizing Brightspace
- Managing discussion boards
- Leveraging Brightspace mobile apps
- Using Brightspace as a student
Skill Level Beginner
1. Brightspace and Communicating with Students
2. Brightspace and Classroom Management
3. Brightspace and Assessing Student Work
4. Customizing Brightspace
5. Using Brightspace in an Online Context
Creating D2L small groups4m 36s
6. The Student's View of Brightspace
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.