On the course discussion board in Desire2Learn (D2L) both students and teachers can post messages about course content, as well as respond to the postings of others. This online training video covers how to set up a course discussion board, create a post, and respond to posts that others have created, as well as how to connect the discussion board feature with other dimensions of building a course.
- [Instructor] The discussion board is one…of the cornerstones features of D2L.…You can set up discussions in the Discussion tool,…which you can link to from the Communication area…of the Course Administration tab.…To set up a new discussion, you first have…to understand topics and forums.…Topics are specific subjects of conversation…in which students and faculty can interact.…Forums are basically collections of topics…that all have something in common with one another,…like a unit or subject matter.…
The easiest way to make those distinctions clear is just…to dive in and demonstrate the relationship.…So, if you're starting from scratch,…you create a new forum by selecting the New drop-down menu…and then choosing New Forum.…Give your forum a title and a description, if you choose.…You can also choose whether to create a new topic…in the forum with the same title.…You can also choose whether to create a topic…with the same name as the forum,…which is useful if you only expect…to need one discussion board.…
We'll title this forum Unit One Discussion Boards.…
- Communicating with students
- Developing course competencies and learning objectives
- Setting up a classroom, including a discussion board
- Adding quizzes and exams
- Setting up an assignment rubric
- Providing feedback
- Setting up a gradebook
- Customizing Brightspace
- Managing discussion boards
- Leveraging Brightspace mobile apps
- Using Brightspace as a student
Skill Level Beginner
1. Brightspace and Communicating with Students
2. Brightspace and Classroom Management
3. Brightspace and Assessing Student Work
4. Customizing Brightspace
5. Using Brightspace in an Online Context
Creating D2L small groups4m 36s
6. The Student's View of Brightspace
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.