In the Brightspace Daylight update, D2L has made several adjustments to improve accessibility for all users. This online training video demonstrates how to customize the D2L experience by adjusting font sizes and type styles for students with dyslexia, and customize video and page behavior for assistive reading technologies. It also demonstrates the text-to-speech reader now available natively within D2L.
- [Instructor] Brightspace Daylight has…several native features designed to increase accessibility…for students who might be differently abled,…including students with dyslexia…and users with visual or hearing challenges.…All users have to do is enable these features.…First, tell students to go up to their login icon…and then select Account Settings from their dropdown menu.…Here, under Font Settings,…they'll see an option to increase font size…to whatever dimensions they might require.…
This change will then propagate…throughout their D2L profile.…They'll also see an option…to enable OpenDyslexic font, which looks like this.…OpenDyslexic minimizes symmetry in text,…which can stabilize erratic letters…in dyslexic students and increase readability.…There are also some settings here…that enhance the Daylight experience…for users with assistive technologies,…like screen magnifiers or voice readers.…For example, the Dialog option here will change…any embedded system responses to pop-up windows,…which eases navigation for such e-readers.…
- Communicating with students
- Developing course competencies and learning objectives
- Setting up a classroom, including a discussion board
- Adding quizzes and exams
- Setting up an assignment rubric
- Providing feedback
- Setting up a gradebook
- Customizing Brightspace
- Managing discussion boards
- Leveraging Brightspace mobile apps
- Using Brightspace as a student
Skill Level Beginner
1. Brightspace and Communicating with Students
2. Brightspace and Classroom Management
3. Brightspace and Assessing Student Work
4. Customizing Brightspace
5. Using Brightspace in an Online Context
Creating D2L small groups4m 36s
6. The Student's View of Brightspace
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.