Course competencies and learning objectives in a course management system like Desire2Learn (D2L) help students connect individual tasks to larger learning outcomes, which helps tasks seem purposeful and relevant, as well as helping track student progress towards meeting objectives. This online training video demonstrates how to set up course competencies and learning objectives, and link objectives to individual course materials.
- [Instructor] Competencies and learning objectives…are one of the most fundamental elements of D2L,…but also one of the most challenging.…At heart, though, the course competency framework…serves several benefits.…First, it's going to make you more intentional…about what course elements serve what purpose.…It also creates a transparent system…that connects individual course elements…to larger course goals,…while also allowing users…to track their progress towards objectives,…whether in a single section…or across a range of programmatic sections.…
The first thing to understand…about working with competencies…and learning objectives in D2L…is how this feature is actually set up.…Think of it as like different levels of a hierarchy.…At the top level, you've got a competency,…which is a high-level goal.…For freshmen composition, it might be something…like understand college research practices and conventions.…Different competencies, though,…are also made up of learning objectives,…which are more nuanced understandings…
- Communicating with students
- Developing course competencies and learning objectives
- Setting up a classroom, including a discussion board
- Adding quizzes and exams
- Setting up an assignment rubric
- Providing feedback
- Setting up a gradebook
- Customizing Brightspace
- Managing discussion boards
- Leveraging Brightspace mobile apps
- Using Brightspace as a student
Skill Level Beginner
1. Brightspace and Communicating with Students
2. Brightspace and Classroom Management
3. Brightspace and Assessing Student Work
4. Customizing Brightspace
5. Using Brightspace in an Online Context
Creating D2L small groups4m 36s
6. The Student's View of Brightspace
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.