Custom rubrics in Desire2Learn (D2L) give instructors much more precise control over how assignment grades are calculated. In this online training video, Alan Ackmann demonstrates how to create a custom rubric, adjust the point values, and customize levels, criteria, and grading scales.
- [Instructor] Sometimes in D2L,…an assignment requires more fine-grained control…than a basic holistic or analytic rubric might provide.…For that, you're going to need a custom rubric.…To create a custom rubric, begin by selecting…New Rubric here on the Rubrics tool.…Give your rubric a name, we'll use Sample Custom Rubric,…and then provide a brief description…of the rubric's purpose, if you'd like.…Next, make sure the Rubric Type is set to Analytic,…which will break the rubric assignment up into categories.…
And if you've already planned how many levels…and criteria you're going to employ,…you can specify those here.…For our demo, we're going to need three criteria…and five levels.…Now comes the first big change…from setting up a conventional rubric.…Under Scoring Method, choose Custom Points.…Here's the main difference between Points and Custom Points.…In a standard points-based rubric,…your ability to manipulate the values is limited.…It's kind of an all and nothing grading setup…where each category is weighted evenly.…
- Communicating with students
- Developing course competencies and learning objectives
- Setting up a classroom, including a discussion board
- Adding quizzes and exams
- Setting up an assignment rubric
- Providing feedback
- Setting up a gradebook
- Customizing Brightspace
- Managing discussion boards
- Leveraging Brightspace mobile apps
- Using Brightspace as a student
Skill Level Beginner
1. Brightspace and Communicating with Students
2. Brightspace and Classroom Management
3. Brightspace and Assessing Student Work
4. Customizing Brightspace
5. Using Brightspace in an Online Context
Creating D2L small groups4m 36s
6. The Student's View of Brightspace
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.