D2L allows the ability to break larger classes into smaller groups, and give each group their own dedicated work or assignment space. This online training video explains how to create small groups within D2L, create a small group discussion board, and how to modify and maintain small groups once they've been created.
- [Instructor] Setting up small group discussions…within D2L, though incredibly useful, is one…of the programs trickier processes…and requires several steps.…The first step is to set up the groups themselves.…To set up small groups head on over to the groups area.…Now here's where the jargon gets a little initially tricky.…You don't create groups first in D2L.…First you create categories…and then you populate the categories with individual groups.…So beginning select New Category and you'll be taken…to the Category Information screen.…
Give your small group category a name…as well as a brief description to help you distinguish it…from other small group categories.…We're going to call this one Workshop Small Groups.…Next you'll choose your enrollment option…for the small groups.…Which is how groups…from the category get populated by students.…There are actually several options listed here.…Selecting number of Groups No Auto Enrollments…means that you tell D2L how many groups you want…for the category…and then add specific students to each group manually.…
- Communicating with students
- Developing course competencies and learning objectives
- Setting up a classroom, including a discussion board
- Adding quizzes and exams
- Setting up an assignment rubric
- Providing feedback
- Setting up a gradebook
- Customizing Brightspace
- Managing discussion boards
- Leveraging Brightspace mobile apps
- Using Brightspace as a student
Skill Level Beginner
1. Brightspace and Communicating with Students
2. Brightspace and Classroom Management
3. Brightspace and Assessing Student Work
4. Customizing Brightspace
5. Using Brightspace in an Online Context
Creating D2L small groups4m 36s
6. The Student's View of Brightspace
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.