Teachers often inherit the default choices and organization of Desire2Learn modules from the school IT admins, but these choices are frequently not permanent. This online video training covers quick tips on how to create a custom theme that will adjust the color scheme and design of D2L, personalizing your course design choices..
- [Instructor] The appearance of a D2L course,…its color scheme and some mild visual elements,…is controlled by creating a custom theme.…Frequently, themes are controlled…at the administrative level and are then pushed out…to all courses in an institution…for the purposes of visual consistency.…That's the case in our set-up, which is…why I'm currently logged in as an administrator.…If your institution has empowered you as an instructor…to overwrite the default theme, though,…here's how you take that step.…Begin by going to the course admin page…and then selecting Navigation & Themes.…
Select the second option at the top, labeled Themes.…If you have default inherited themes,…you'll see them displayed here.…Since default themes are pushed out…at the administration level, not the course level,…you can't modify a default theme.…So the only option is to create one from scratch.…To start the creation process, select Create Theme.…The next step is to give your theme a name.…We're simply going to use Sample Theme.…If you'd like, you can add a description here.…
- Communicating with students
- Developing course competencies and learning objectives
- Setting up a classroom, including a discussion board
- Adding quizzes and exams
- Setting up an assignment rubric
- Providing feedback
- Setting up a gradebook
- Customizing Brightspace
- Managing discussion boards
- Leveraging Brightspace mobile apps
- Using Brightspace as a student
Skill Level Beginner
1. Brightspace and Communicating with Students
2. Brightspace and Classroom Management
3. Brightspace and Assessing Student Work
4. Customizing Brightspace
5. Using Brightspace in an Online Context
Creating D2L small groups4m 36s
6. The Student's View of Brightspace
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.