In online teaching especially, the D2L chat feature provides instant communication between students and the instructor. Alan Ackmman demonstrates how to set up a chat session in D2L, administer an ongoing chat session, and configure chatroom settings.
- [Narrator] Like a lot of course management interfaces,…D2L has a built-in chat tool.…This is especially useful in online classes…where you may need to have some instant back-and-forth.…To add a chat element,…begin on the course administration tab…and then scroll down to chat.…If you've never created a chat before select new chat.…Begin by giving your chat session a name,…something like sample shat session.…After this, designate whether you want this…to be a general chat or a personal chat.…
General chats are available throughout the entire course…and personal chats occur between individual users.…Notice that once you save your initial choice,…you cannot change that choice.…Add a description of the chat if you would like…and when you're satisfied, hit create.…Now that our chat session is enabled,…you can see basic information like the chat title…and the current number of participants.…If you select the dropdown next to the chat name,…you'll see several options, including enter chat.…
That sounds promising, so let's give it a click.…
- Communicating with students
- Developing course competencies and learning objectives
- Setting up a classroom, including a discussion board
- Adding quizzes and exams
- Setting up an assignment rubric
- Providing feedback
- Setting up a gradebook
- Customizing Brightspace
- Managing discussion boards
- Leveraging Brightspace mobile apps
- Using Brightspace as a student
Skill Level Beginner
1. Brightspace and Communicating with Students
2. Brightspace and Classroom Management
3. Brightspace and Assessing Student Work
4. Customizing Brightspace
5. Using Brightspace in an Online Context
Creating D2L small groups4m 36s
6. The Student's View of Brightspace
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.