- [Instructor] I often quote this to my clients because it wraps up a key lesson. As long as I've been developing software, it was good enough to get the necessary functionality in place. That's all. Ease of use was secondary. It's still necessary to get the functionality right, but now we have another success factor, making the app fast and intuitive to use. Designing better UX doesn't just have intangible or theoretical benefits. Speeding up users saves labor.
One of my clients is saving tens of millions of dollars a year in labor with their new app that was consciously designed to be better than their old one. Another client cut their labor costs by over 40% for a work staff of hundreds. Design-centric companies routinely out perform companies that don't emphasize design in their operations. Better UX design in business applications is an important component of design oriented thinking in organizations.
In extreme cases, lack of good UX design can lead to catastrophic consequences. Cosmetics retailer Avon lost both the $125 million they spent on a new system plus lost revenue because their sales reps resigned rather than use it. Note the word in the call-out, frustration. We'll be talking at various points about the role of emotion in design. It's something that developers don't think about enough.
- What a well-designed app looks like
- Leveraging cognitive design principles
- Decluttering crowded screens
- Understanding your users' needs
- Recording and analyzing user observations
- Storyboarding your ideas
- Helpful techniques for the design process
- Dealing with conflict in design evaluation
Skill Level Beginner
UX Foundations: Interaction Designwith David Hogue3h 33m Intermediate
How this course will work1m 38s
1. Why UX Design Is Important
2. What Makes a Design Good or Bad?
3. Understanding Users and Their Needs
4. Ideation: Finding, Refining, and Culling Design Ideas
5. Helpful Concepts and Techniques for the Design Process
Next steps2m 24s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.