In this video, learn how to fix short last lines, or runts, using a GREP style.
- [Instructor] In this step, I'd like to show you … how we can use a GREP style … to fix short last lines of paragraphs … which are often referred to as runts. … I should mention that I've added in some lining numbers … in the outside margins. … I'll just point those out. … I've added these on the masterpage spread … and they are on a separate layer, … you'll notice that the layer is italicized … and that's because it is a non printing layer, … which means that if I press w to hide my guides, … those numbers disappear … and I'm using these just so … that I can easily reference a line … and in this case it's page 46, line 23. … We see that we end the paragraph on a very short word. … Now, how short is too short? … That is going to depend on the nature of the text … and your own personal preference. … This text includes many many short paragraphs … and lots of dialogue, so there inevitably will be lots … of short last lines. … We want to make sure that we don't implement a fix … that is worse than the problem that it is solving. …
- Setting up an InDesign workspace
- Adjusting the page size and margins
- Placing text
- Applying text styles
- Automating formatting
- Adding footnotes and headers
- Placing images
- Fixing text details
- Creating the front matter
- Creating the cover
- Exporting the final book
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
EPUB Accessibility Using InDesignwith Laura Brady2h 41m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Document Setup and Strategy
3. Placing Text
4. Styling the Text
5. Working with Images
6. Finessing Text Composition
7. Creating the Front Matter
8. Creating the Cover
9. Preparing for Print
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.