In this video, explore different approaches to deciding the relative size of margins and, by extension, the size of the type area.
- [Instructor] In this movie, I want to talk about … the choices involved in creating our margins. … To start with, I'm going to use a method referred … to as the Van de Graaf canon. … It has its own Wikipedia page which you … can refer to for more information. … This is a historical method using this construction … of guides intersecting at precise points. … I'm going to recreate this now. … I'll come to the layers panel and turn off my version, … choose my line tool. … I want to make sure that I'm drawing … with a line tool that has a black stroke. … So, I'll start by going from bottom-left … to top-center or spine. … I'll do the equivalent on the facing page bottom-right, … up to the spine. … Now, I'll come back to my bottom-left and come all … the way up to top-right and now down to bottom-right … all the way up to top-left. … Now where these guides intersect, I will draw a line … from here to the top of the page. … Where the guide hits the top of the page, … from that point I will draw another guide …
- Setting up an InDesign workspace
- Adjusting the page size and margins
- Placing text
- Applying text styles
- Automating formatting
- Adding footnotes and headers
- Placing images
- Fixing text details
- Creating the front matter
- Creating the cover
- Exporting the final book
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
EPUB Accessibility Using InDesignwith Laura Brady2h 41m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Document Setup and Strategy
3. Placing Text
4. Styling the Text
5. Working with Images
6. Finessing Text Composition
7. Creating the Front Matter
8. Creating the Cover
9. Preparing for Print
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.