Join Bonnie Siegler for an in-depth discussion in this video Know your budget, part of Working with Creatives.
- Honestly,…please be honest.…We're at a bit of a disadvantage…because we love what we do so much.…We kinda secretly feel lucky to be paid for it.…Some people say we do the design work for free…and we get paid to deal with the clients.…This aspect of the business…is one of the reasons why we sometimes feel that way.…If you have a specific budget…or budget range for your project,…please tell us.…It will make us feel like we're on the same side,…which we want to be.…
It will also avoid protracted negotiations,…which can sour a relationship in the beginning.…Even if someone else is handling it,…everyone knows about it.…More importantly, it will save everyone time…and avoid unnecessary frustration.…Some potential clients will tell us…that they have absolutely no budget in mind.…In the absence of guidance,…we come up with our dream approach to the project.…The response, annoyingly,…is often, "Oh, we don't have that kind of a budget."…But, but, you said you didn't have a budget in mind.…
If we had known what kind of budget you had,…
- Knowing your own taste and what you're looking for
- Creating a brief
- Knowing your budget
- Best practices for working with designers
- Giving feedback
- Being a fair judge
- What to do when it's not working
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Before You Hire a Designer
2. About Money
3. Working with a Designer
4. When It's Not Working with a Designer
5. After the Job Is Done
Next steps1m 27s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.