- View Offline
- What makes a successful layout?
- Layout elements: shape, line, color, texture, type, and space
- Using balance and tension to create a dynamic layout
- Adding drama with contrast and scale
- Working with proportions: golden section, rule of thirds, etc.
- Creating the right grid for your design
- Choosing simplicity or excess
- Adding an element of surprise
- Making images and typography work together
Skill Level Beginner
- I'm Sean Adams and I'd like to welcome you to the Foundations of Layout. All successful design solutions start with a good idea, but unfortunately, that's just not enough. Knowing how to take that great idea and create something extraordinary is what I love about graphic design. We'll explore layout solutions from a 19th century Toulouse-Lautrec poster, layouts from the Russian Revolution, to modern publications; always finding interesting, inspirational ideas.
We're going to explore how to use shape, color, and space to create a strong solution. We'll look at different proportion concepts and learn how to apply them. This course is designed to provide you with a strong foundation in creating successful composition and layouts. I'm a firm believer that having the right skills allows you to create what is in your head and make something magnificent. Welcome to the Foundations of Layout.