Discover the best strategies for how to design a catalog that advertises products, promotes sales, and effectively conveys information to buyers.
- The days of old, dead, spammy catalogs are over, or at least numbered. The modern catalog is boutique, and beautiful, and engaging, and usually brief. Now that the web is here a paper catalog doesn't need to be a full list of products. The warehouse of stuff that used to clog your print pages is now online, so the paper catalog has a more interesting and certainly a more creative role to play. This course is for anyone contemplating designing a paper catalog. Catalogs are incredibly varied and complex, and the possibilities are pretty much infinite. Yours will be different from every other catalog on Earth so in some sense you'll have to find your own way, your own voice, your own style. What I hope to do is show you some cool possibilities, talk a bit about your voice and style, and then give you some design and layout techniques for getting your material on the page beautifully and expressively.
- Creating a modern catalog design
- Getting started with catalog design
- Paper catalog strengths and limitations
- Planning out design
- Catalog format options
- Catalog paper choices
- Catalog photography and typography
- Catalogs: Ikea, Duluth, Prana, Green Acres, and Big Sur