Join Bonnie Siegler for an in-depth discussion in this video Contracts, part of Working with Creatives.
- I personally love contracts.…I love how they always hope for the best…but prepare for the worst.…Best of all, they serve to eliminate…misunderstandings about expectations.…As I've mentioned, many of us love the work so much…and are so anxious to just get to it and do it,…that we often overlook this crucial element.…But we always learn, usually the hard way,…why it's important,…by not having a contract…and learning that all of the difficulties…would have been avoided had there been one.…
Big companies sometimes don't want to go through…their legal department and deal with all that paperwork,…or they don't want to call attention…to what they're spending for budgetary reasons.…But those are not good enough reasons…to keep you from doing what is right,…and the best part of a contract…is that it protects both the client and the designer.…It's worth it, even for smaller jobs.…Think of it like a prenup between a couple getting married…who don't really know each other yet.…Our contract is essentially a list of mistakes we made…
- Knowing your own taste and what you're looking for
- Creating a brief
- Knowing your budget
- Best practices for working with designers
- Giving feedback
- Being a fair judge
- What to do when it's not working
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Before You Hire a Designer
2. About Money
3. Working with a Designer
4. When It's Not Working with a Designer
5. After the Job Is Done
Next steps1m 27s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.