In this detailed case study, Dustin Lee shares how he started his side hustle selling products on Creative Market. Learn the best techniques for building your side hustle selling digital goods when you're first starting out.
- I feel like I'd be doing you a disservice…if I didn't share my own story as a case study…for selling design resources.…Because I can tell you with 100% certainty…what worked for me and I can cut out all the fluff.…So in 2012 I was living in Mountain View California,…which is in the Silicon Valley area…and my wife and I had moved from Portland Oregon,…to help my grandmother after my grandfather passed away.…I was working as a free lance graphic designer…while trying to pay down a significant amount…of consumer debt and I was saving…for a down payment on a house…and striving to do work that I enjoyed.…
But instead I was barely making enough…to cover the necessary expenses.…And if you've ever been to the Bay Area,…you know that it's hard to go anywhere…without someone telling you about their start-up,…how they're trying to raise venture capital,…or about their exciting new job at a tech company.…So this entrepreneurial environment,…inspired me to quit my free lance work…and build my own business.…It's not worth sharing many details…
- What is a side hustle?
- Selling design resources
- What does selling fonts entail?
- Making and releasing your own fonts
- Teaching your creative skills to others
- Selling merchandise featuring your designs
- Building your passive income strategy