Join Billy Hollis for an in-depth discussion in this video Bringing it all together, part of UX Design for Developers.
- [Instructor] I'd like to do a little exercise…in mind reading at this point.…You may be thinking my app has special requirements,…it really does need crowded screens.…Well, in my experience, it probably doesn't.…Only a handful of applications with a special…class of users who can handle high-cognitive load…are really in that category.…But during UX design, you'll sometimes run into users…who themselves insist on crowded screens…and they may even be right in some narrow circumstances.…
Usually not, though.…They probably have never seen an uncluttered alternative…that matches their job.…One of the main reasons users ask for crowded screens…is that if you don't show users everything they might…ever need on that single screen, they assume that you'll…hide it where they can't find it.…They don't trust you to understand their job well enough…to show them what they want.…The solution to that, though, isn't to just give in to them.…The solution is better design.…
Later in the course I'll do an example from a real project…
- What a well-designed app looks like
- Leveraging cognitive design principles
- Decluttering crowded screens
- Understanding your users' needs
- Recording and analyzing user observations
- Storyboarding your ideas
- Helpful techniques for the design process
- Dealing with conflict in design evaluation
Skill Level Beginner
UX Foundations: Interaction Designwith David Hogue3h 33m Appropriate for all
How this course will work1m 38s
1. Why UX Design Is Important
2. What Makes a Design Good or Bad?
3. Understanding Users and Their Needs
4. Ideation: Finding, Refining, and Culling Design Ideas
5. Helpful Concepts and Techniques for the Design Process
Next steps2m 24s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.