Join Will Kemp for an in-depth discussion in this video Final project: Impasto and thick passages of paint, part of Foundations of Acrylic Painting.
- View Offline
- So now we've got the basics…of the painting blocks in,…we can start to use a palette knife…to add texture into the painting.…When you first start using a palette knife…onto a painting, it can feel quite strange.…So just have a go with it,…and don't worry if you make a mistake,…you'll be able to scrape it off…and paint over it again.…So let's see how you can use…your palette knife to paint with.…
So this is with the permanent alizarin crimson,…it's gonna have that great tone to it…when we start to add the white into it.…But if you look at some of the colors…already onto the flower,…you can see it's pretty close in tone already,…just as it comes straight from the tube.…So for some of these areas here,…we can start to put in the paint…straight onto the canvas.…
Notice how the paint drags to make…more abstract shapes.…It would be very hard to create this random effect…just by using the paintbrush.…Then you can even experiment with…having some white onto your palette knife as well,…without mixing the two together on your palette,…
In this course, Will Kemp takes you on a journey that will unleash your inner artist, providing an introduction to the materials and techniques used in acrylic painting.
The course follows a progressive sequence, covering beginner and advanced acrylic painting methods, from underpainting and glazing to impasto and textural effects. It also addresses setup and materials, color mixing and pigment choice, brush-handling and palette-knife techniques, as well as gels and mediums.
By the end of the course you'll have a final still-life project you can hang with pride, and a solid foundation of painting knowledge, making the transition into more challenging subjects or mediums much easier.
- Choosing a brush, palette, and canvas
- Altering acrylic paint with water and other mediums
- Blocking in and underpainting
- Adding glazes
- Choosing pigments
- Understanding basic color theory
- Creating texture
- Signing and protecting your work