Join Will Kemp for an in-depth discussion in this video A flat drawing, part of Drawing Foundations: Sketching the Landscape.
(birds chirping)…- So I'm here in the beautiful Isle of Skye in Scotland.…I just found this little bench, this little loch,…and I just wanna illustrate to you how important it can be…to get your positioning right before you even sketch.…a sketching is all about choosing the right angle,…and choosing what's important in the subject…that we're looking at.…
So let's have a look at a few different angles,…and what not to choose, and what can really…help you to make an interesting sketch.…So for drawing out here, I've just got a few…basic sketching materials, I've got a drawing pad,…and this can just be opened up nice and wide.…This is a watercolor-base pad,…but for drawing with the pens I'll be doing today,…that's gonna be absolutely fine,…and it'll also give me the option if I ever want…to add watercolor washes later on back in the studio,…it will hold them really nicely.…I've got a few different pens, but the main things…I'm going to be using are from Faber Castell,…and these are these pitt artist pens.…
And what I like about them is they come in different…
- Assembling your materials
- Integrating proportion, scale, and light
- Thinking inside a frame
- Drawing with depth
- Sketching with a painting in mind
- Capturing changing conditions
- Drawing rocks, buildings, trees, and more
- Creating mood and atmosphere
- Putting it all together in the studio
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Materials
Sketchpads and paper2m 55s
2. Landscape Sketching Foundations
3. The Basics of Landscape Sketching
4. How to Get the Most Out of Your Sketchbook
From sketch to studio22m 52s
5. Capturing Changing Conditions
6. How to Draw Elements of the Landscape
7. Creating Mood and Atmosphere
8. Putting It All Together
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.