- View Offline
- Assembling your materials
- Integrating proportion, scale, and light
- Thinking inside a frame
- Drawing with depth
- Sketching with a painting in mind
- Capturing changing conditions
- Drawing rocks, buildings, trees, and more
- Creating mood and atmosphere
- Putting it all together in the studio
Skill Level Beginner
- Hi, I'm Will Kemp, and welcome to The Foundations of Drawing: Sketching the Landscape. I feel really excited to be taking some of my drawing techniques out of the studio and into the landscape. My aim is to take you from sketching in the comfort of your own home to having the confidence, when you're out drawing in the landscape, to compose and balance the scenes that are in front of you. When you learn how you can take an initial sketch, take it back to the studio, and develop it into a more finished piece, it can really help to stretch your work, in gaining confidence in your sketching.
I'll take you through the basics of what works in the landscape sketch. From composition and simple perspective to changing your viewpoint to achieve maximum results. I'll introduce new techniques with different mediums, from pencils to watercolor markers, slowly, and in a progressive sequence. We'll cover how to capture changing conditions, from clouds, to reflections in water, and learn how to create texture with pencils, making details the star of the show.
By the end of the course, you will have developed the habit to do quick thumbnail sketches. You can use your sketchbook to its full advantage, not feeling the pressure to make every piece a finished work of art. You will learn to seven point checklist and the simple pleasure of actually going out there and sketching in the landscape. You will soak up the atmosphere, the sounds, the smells, of wherever you're sketching. And it can be so rewarding. Such a pleasure just sketching outside in it's own right.
So why don't you join me on The Foundations of Drawing: Sketching the Landscape. To take those sketchbooks from inside out into the landscape.