Join Mary Jane Begin for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Point of view, part of The Elements of Composition for Illustrators.
- Seeing things from a different point of view…can be easy to talk about, but difficult to do,…especially when the image is…something from your imagination.…For this exercise,…use your camera to help you see differently.…Choose a subject,…then photograph it from 10 different positions,…varying angle and distance from the subject.…Choose one of your favorite photos…to use as a reference for a rough sketch composition.…Add at least one element or more…that didn't exist in the photo to create an illustration.…Have fun with this.…Let your imagination photobomb with glee.…
Try to make the new element believable,…and from the same point of view as the photo.…Take as long or as little as you need,…and remember to share your sketches with us…on Facebook or on your favorite form of social media.…
AuthorMary Jane Begin
This course will help to clarify best practices for developing any artistic or illustrated composition. Shaping the elements; marrying concept to composition; engaging the editing eye; achieving balance, unity, directional movement, and perspective; and exploring point of view and focal points are all topics covered in these lessons. Author (and professional artist) Mary Jane Begin also explores the major and minor pitfalls of a weak composition and explains the six compositional rules that lead to the best end results! See the steps in action in the final chapter, where Mary Jane designs a concept for lynda.com.
Then share what you've learned with the lynda.com community. Take the three challenges Mary Jane issues in the course and post your results to Facebook and Twitter, using the hashtag #learnatlynda. We can't wait to see your illustrations!
- Directing with lines
- Designing the negative space
- Creating a consistency of style
- Adding movement with dynamic diagonals, edges, and contrast
- Creating depth of field with perspective
- Using—and breaking—the rules
- Choosing a size and medium for artwork
Skill Level Beginner
1. Basics of Composition
Framing your field of view3m 15s
2. Shaping the Composition
3. Creating Compositional Unity
4. Exploring Movement
5. Directing the Eye
6. Finalizing the Format
7. From Concept to Finished Art
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.