- Too much of the same thing can be dull.…I'm happy eating the same oatmeal for breakfast everyday,…but for every meal, probably not.…Throwing in something unexpected that may break…the rules of the grid can add energy into a publication.…If I follow the logic that a basic proportional…system guides my grid, I can abandon the traditional…equal column, gutter, and hang line structure.…The results can be exciting and dynamic, but you've detoured…off the straight line freeway into the unknown.…
Be adventurous.…Let's start with a golden rectangle as a proportion.…I create a grid with multiples of the same form.…I can make larger areas for content and small areas.…As long as they're a connection to the golden rectangle,…this will seem consistent, or I might use a square…system on a 45 degree angle.…I can place my elements where ever I want…and at whatever scale I think works with the hierarchy.…As long as I stay within the square structure,…the layout will appear harmonious.…
In these instances, consistency with typography is critical.…
- Why grids and proportions?
- The elements of a grid
- The types of grids
- Designing a master grid
- Asymmetrical vs. symmetrical grids
- Working with column and modular grids
- Managing multiple grids
- Designing posters with a grid
- Using grids in other design projects
Skill Level Beginner
2. The Pieces
4. Publications and Magazines
6. Other Formats
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.