- It's hard to imagine,…but the differences between symmetry and asymmetry…have destroyed friendships,…built design movements,…and been aligned with politics…and social values.…I'd love to be that rigid…and committed to one approach,…but either can work beautifully with a grid.…Many people are inherently drawn to symmetry.…While we aren't perfectly symmetrical ourselves,…the basics hold true.…We have two eyes,…two arms, and two legs.…Mirror images of the other side.…
We look at symmetrical design…and designate it as "classical" and "traditional."…But it can be compelling and dynamic…with a good grid and proportions.…Asymmetry allows for more flexibility in design.…It is a set of elements that are not mirror images,…but a balancing act.…This creates a stronger sense of energy and dynamic…than a stable symmetrical layout.…But this allows for more flexibility…and a huge range of options.…
How large is the content?…Where is it placed?…What are the relationships?…This is where a good grid comes to the rescue.…I could spend a week moving things around…
- Why grids and proportions?
- The elements of a grid
- The types of grids
- Designing a master grid
- Asymmetrical vs. symmetrical grids
- Working with column and modular grids
- Managing multiple grids
- Designing posters with a grid
- Using grids in other design projects
Skill Level Beginner
2. The Pieces
4. Publications and Magazines
6. Other Formats
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.