- Posters are meant to grab the viewer's attention…and communicate a clear message.…Brochures and publications do a different job.…They provide more complex information.…So, let's proceed with the assumption…that a poster is not simply a giant brochure.…Since we don't need to create a structure…for large amounts of text and imagery,…the poster grid can be simplified.…This however, is another instance…where the proportions are critical.…
Joseph Mueller Brockman, one of the greatest…poster designers based his grid system…on the golden section.…He aligned typography and imagery…to work within these proportions.…The results led to powerful and clear messages…and posters that stand out…in a crowded visual environment…and are aesthetically harmonious.…When I use the golden section on a poster…I don't adhere to it as religiously,…but apply it as a general guide,…A modular grid based on squares or rectangles…is another good option for a poster.…
This creates a structure to maintain…consistent proportions, but allows for more flexibility…
- Why grids and proportions?
- The elements of a grid
- The types of grids
- Designing a master grid
- Asymmetrical vs. symmetrical grids
- Working with column and modular grids
- Managing multiple grids
- Designing posters with a grid
- Using grids in other design projects
Skill Level Beginner
2. The Pieces
4. Publications and Magazines
6. Other Formats
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.