Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video The great age of posters, part of Learning Graphic Design History.
- In the 1920s, designers and artists at the Bauhaus…were working to reduce form to only its functional elements.…At the beginning of the 1930s in Paris,…the idea of purity and geometric forms found a voice.…However, a softer, more elegant approach emerged.…It is during this time that we see the rise…of the poster as a great art form.…Economically, France was not devastated…by World War I like Germany.…The effects of the Great Depression were present,…but the situation was not as dire…and harsh as post-war Germany.…
Luxury goods, travel, and entertainment continued to have…a strong market, which of course leads to advertising.…Printing technologies had also improved…since the age of Cheret and Toulouse-Lautrec.…Now a designer could work with finer…tonal values, gradations, finer typography,…and a larger variety of colors.…Shadow, dimensionality, and fine lines…could now be printed successfully.…One of the leading designers in poster art…was A.M. Cassandre, a Ukrainian immigrant living in Paris.…
He didn't have one set approach based on…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Designing a Typographic Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 27s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.