Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video The golden age of album design, part of Foundations of Graphic Design History.
- Album cover design is an area often overlooked…by design historians.…The subject matter was music not intellectual concepts.…There was no philosophical manifesto.…It was an art form that existed to sell records.…If you ask anyone who lived during the time…when people actually bought records,…they will light up when discussing their favorite record,…and be able to describe the cover in detail.…Great emotional weight is contained with the combination…of personal involvement with the music,…an artifact of the album cover.…
The designers of the late 1960s and 1970s…working in this field were a special breed.…They were the first rockstar graphic designers.…Other designers knew them by name,…and they were promoted along with the covers.…The styles were loose and open-ended.…One cover might be modernest and simple;…another, complex and decorative.…There was no attachment to a specific idea.…Each solution might be radically different from the last.…The industry thrived in Los Angeles and New York,…the two centers of the music industry.…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Layout and Compositionwith Sean Adams1h 35m Beginner
Type Project: Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 31s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.