Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video Where next?, part of Foundations of Graphic Design History.
- As I was putting this course together,…I repeatedly bumped into the issue of time.…Each of these individual subjects,…from the Bauhaus to Post-Modernism,…could fill an entire two hour course.…We've covered a vast amount of material here.…It's obviously a subject I love,…and hopefully the introduction here…will lead you to a time period…or movement that inspires you.…The history of graphic design is…complex and multilayered.…I have broken the subjects into individual sections,…but in reality they all overlap in time.…
Some of the subjects like the Bauhaus…influenced design for decades.…Others occurred simultaneously, like Dada and De Stijl.…Here we touched on the tip of the iceberg.…For every single designer we discussed,…there are ten more just as influential and interesting.…There are threads that become apparent.…Graphic design history is the…concrete history of our culture.…If reflects the attitudes, beliefs…and events of a time and place.…The artifacts designers created are the…physical manifestations of a time.…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Layout and Compositionwith Sean Adams1h 35m Beginner
Type Project: Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 31s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.